Thursday, April 7, 2011

Sting.

In approaching eventual treatment for one of my phobias, the strongest, the deepest, the worst, I said something to a friend almost by accident, and didn't realize until a minute later just exactly how true it was.

My fear of wasps (and all related) is the only one that has no definitive explanation, no particular, sensible thing about it that upsets me, and has absolutely no root in childhood trauma/event/stupidity, as all the others have had. I can and do trace each of my insecurities, anxieties and emotional triggers back to the moments they began, to the places where they were born, and I'm able to settle many of them by doing so.

It just is. This one thing, the most powerful of all my mind's attempts to attack itself, is simply a thing inborn, like a gallbladder, like a second thumb joint. I wonder if this will make it more difficult to cure.

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty certain having a wasp phobia is far more "normal" than having a velvet phobia.

    ReplyDelete